Planning and Zoning Commission
Phone – 218-525-5705 Town Hall
Planning Commission meetings are held each month on the 4th Thursday at 6:30 pm at the Town Hall.
Working meetings and public hearings are posted at official posting sites.
Meetings are open to the public and Town residents are encouraged to attend.
Planning & Zoning News:
Planning Commission to Host Open House
for the Draft Zoning Ordinance and Draft Zoning Map
Tuesday, October 19, 2021 from 6:30 – 8:30 PM
at the Duluth Town Hall
As you may be aware, the Planning Commission has been working on updating the current Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map in light of the updated Comprehensive Land Use Plan adopted in 2020. The Planning Commission met from January through June 2021 to consider changes to the Ordinance and Map.
The purpose of the Open House is to share information regarding the Draft Zoning Ordinance and Draft Zoning Map, to answer questions regarding the Drafts, and take comments regarding the Drafts. The Planning Commission will take written comments on the Draft from October 19th through Nov 5th, 2021. These written comments will be used to inform the Proposed Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map that will be used for the Public Hearing.
There are a number of ways that you can comment on the Draft Zoning Ordinance and Map. Send your written comments via e-mail to email@example.com with “New Zoning Ordinance” in the subject line, via U.S. mail to the Duluth Town Hall, 6092 Homestead Rd, Duluth, MN 55804 or dropping them off at the Town Hall. Please include your name and address on your written comments.
There are several opportunities for the community to comment on changes to the Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map. They are as follows:
- Community Open House October 19, 2021 at the Town Hall. Comments will be accepted from October 19th through Nov. 5, 2021.
- Public Hearing in December 2021ꟷ Check out November Newsletter and Town Website for specific date and time.
- Adoption of Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map ꟷ First part of the Year in 2022 ꟷ Check out the Newsletter and Town Website for specific date and time.
The Planning Commission looks forward to seeing you at the Open House!
The Town of Duluth Comprehensive Land Use Plan has been adopted as of August 13, 2020
Background Documents for the Comprehensive Land Use Plan
As a part of the 2019/2020 update of the CLUP, the Community Steering Group for the CLUP elicited input from Township residents to identify the Township’s core community values. The Core Community Value Statements can be seen here: Core Community Values
To assist in updating the CLUP, Planning Staff prepared a report, Looking Back, Looking Forward: A Review of the 2002 Comprehensive Land Use Plan 2002-2018. The purpose of this report was to determine the accomplishments made towards meeting the vision of the 2002 CLUP and to provide other pertinent information about the Township in order to identify issues, concerns, and opportunities for updating the CLUP. The report can be seen here: Looking Back, Looking Forward
10.11.18 Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5
10.11.18 Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5 is in effect as of October 11, 2018.
The changes include
• Alteration of requirements for driveway placement and design.
• Amendment of the process for proposal, evaluation, public hearing, and adoption of amendments to the Zoning Ordinance or Map.
• Alteration of public notice requirements for variances.
• Increase of permit fees for a site entry onto a Town Road and for accessory structures and decks.
• Establishment of requirements for residential solar energy systems.
• Establishment of definitions, applicability, performance standards, conditional use requirements for commercial uses not falling under existing commercial use definitions.
• Removal of one parcel on the west side of the LIU-3A zone district located on Bergquist Road from LIU-3A to MUNS-4.
Short-term Rental Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5
Short-term Rental Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5 is now in effect, as of February 8, 2018
Zoning Ordinance Number 5
Zoning Ordinance Number 5 is now in effect, as of December 31, 2015.
Stormwater, Erosion, and Sediment Control Ordinance
The Stormwater, Erosion, and Sediment Control Ordinance is now in effect, as of December 31, 2015. This new Ordinance is in response to USEPA and MPCA requirements.
Planning Commission Members
Liz Strohmayer (2022)
Dave Edblom (2020)
Pam West (2022)
Angela Wilson (2022)
Blane Tetreault (2023)
Dave Meyer (2024)
Sue Lawson Planning Director
Beth Mullan Secretary
E-mail: Planning & Zoning
Forms, Instructions and Fees: