Planning and Zoning Commission
Phone – 218-525-5705 Town Hall
Planning Commission meetings are held each month on the 4th Thursday at 6:30 pm at the Town Hall.
Working meetings and public hearings are posted at official posting sites.
Meetings are open to the public and Town residents are encouraged to attend.
August 26, 2021 Planning Commission Meeting
This meeting will be held at the Town Hall. The public is invited to attend the meeting. Governor Walz’s latest directives regarding COVID-19 will be followed.
Ordinance Update Working Meetings
The Planning Commission will meet on the fourth Tuesday of the month, January through June, to review the current Zoning Ordinance in light of the new Comprehensive Land Use Plan. Recommended changes to the Ordinance will be open to review to the public at the end of the process. The public is invited to attend the working meetings, as well.
The May 25 meeting will be held at the Town Hall. The public is welcome to attend. Governor Walz’s latest directives regarding COVID-19 will be followed.
Planning & Zoning News:
The Town of Duluth Comprehensive Land Use Plan has been adopted as of August 13, 2020
Background Documents for the Comprehensive Land Use Plan
As a part of the 2019/2020 update of the CLUP, the Community Steering Group for the CLUP elicited input from Township residents to identify the Township’s core community values. The Core Community Value Statements can be seen here: Core Community Values
To assist in updating the CLUP, Planning Staff prepared a report, Looking Back, Looking Forward: A Review of the 2002 Comprehensive Land Use Plan 2002-2018. The purpose of this report was to determine the accomplishments made towards meeting the vision of the 2002 CLUP and to provide other pertinent information about the Township in order to identify issues, concerns, and opportunities for updating the CLUP. The report can be seen here: Looking Back, Looking Forward
10.11.18 Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5
10.11.18 Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5 is in effect as of October 11, 2018.
The changes include
• Alteration of requirements for driveway placement and design.
• Amendment of the process for proposal, evaluation, public hearing, and adoption of amendments to the Zoning Ordinance or Map.
• Alteration of public notice requirements for variances.
• Increase of permit fees for a site entry onto a Town Road and for accessory structures and decks.
• Establishment of requirements for residential solar energy systems.
• Establishment of definitions, applicability, performance standards, conditional use requirements for commercial uses not falling under existing commercial use definitions.
• Removal of one parcel on the west side of the LIU-3A zone district located on Bergquist Road from LIU-3A to MUNS-4.
Short-term Rental Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5
Short-term Rental Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5 is now in effect, as of February 8, 2018
Zoning Ordinance Number 5
Zoning Ordinance Number 5 is now in effect, as of December 31, 2015.
Stormwater, Erosion, and Sediment Control Ordinance
The Stormwater, Erosion, and Sediment Control Ordinance is now in effect, as of December 31, 2015. This new Ordinance is in response to USEPA and MPCA requirements.
Planning Commission Members
Liz Strohmayer (2022)
Dave Edblom (2020)
Pam West (2022)
Angela Wilson (2022)
Blane Tetreault (2023)
Dave Meyer (2024)
Sue Lawson Planning Director
Beth Mullan Secretary
E-mail: Planning & Zoning
Forms, Instructions and Fees: