Planning and Zoning Commission
Phone – 218-525-5705 Town Hall
Planning Commission meetings are held each month on the 4th Thursday at 6:30 pm at the Town Hall.
Working meetings and public hearings are posted at official posting sites.
November and December 2021 meeting dates:
Tuesday November 16 at 6:30 pm
Thursday December 16 at 6:30 pm
Meetings are open to the public and Town residents are encouraged to attend.
Planning & Zoning News:
Proposed Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map
Thursday, December 2, 2021 at 6:30 PM
at the Duluth Town Hall
In October 2021, the Planning Commission published a draft of Zoning Ordinance Number 6 (Draft Zoning Ordinance) and the Zoning Map (Draft Zoning Map) and held an Open House to present the draft Ordinance. In November, the Planning Commission will consider all comments received on the draft Zoning Ordinance to develop Proposed Zoning Ordinance Number 6 and Zoning Map. The Proposed Zoning Ordinance and Map will be available on the website and at the Town Hall beginning November 19, 2021. The Duluth Township Planning Commission encourages you to comment on the Proposed Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map.
There are two ways to comment on the Proposed Zoning Ordinance and Map:
- You may send written comments to the Planning Commission and/or,
- You may appear in person at the Public Hearing and provide your comments
Written comments may be provided:
- Via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Proposed Zoning Ordinance” in the subject line;
- Via U.S. mail to the Duluth Town Hall, 6092 Homestead Rd, Duluth, MN 55804; or
- By dropping them off at the Town Hall. Please include your name and address on your written comments.
Written comments will be accepted until December 2, 2021.
The Town of Duluth Comprehensive Land Use Plan has been adopted as of August 13, 2020
Background Documents for the Comprehensive Land Use Plan
As a part of the 2019/2020 update of the CLUP, the Community Steering Group for the CLUP elicited input from Township residents to identify the Township’s core community values. The Core Community Value Statements can be seen here: Core Community Values
To assist in updating the CLUP, Planning Staff prepared a report, Looking Back, Looking Forward: A Review of the 2002 Comprehensive Land Use Plan 2002-2018. The purpose of this report was to determine the accomplishments made towards meeting the vision of the 2002 CLUP and to provide other pertinent information about the Township in order to identify issues, concerns, and opportunities for updating the CLUP. The report can be seen here: Looking Back, Looking Forward
10.11.18 Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5
10.11.18 Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5 is in effect as of October 11, 2018.
The changes include
• Alteration of requirements for driveway placement and design.
• Amendment of the process for proposal, evaluation, public hearing, and adoption of amendments to the Zoning Ordinance or Map.
• Alteration of public notice requirements for variances.
• Increase of permit fees for a site entry onto a Town Road and for accessory structures and decks.
• Establishment of requirements for residential solar energy systems.
• Establishment of definitions, applicability, performance standards, conditional use requirements for commercial uses not falling under existing commercial use definitions.
• Removal of one parcel on the west side of the LIU-3A zone district located on Bergquist Road from LIU-3A to MUNS-4.
Short-term Rental Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5
Short-term Rental Amendment to Zoning Ordinance Number 5 is now in effect, as of February 8, 2018
Zoning Ordinance Number 5
Zoning Ordinance Number 5 is now in effect, as of December 31, 2015.
Stormwater, Erosion, and Sediment Control Ordinance
The Stormwater, Erosion, and Sediment Control Ordinance is now in effect, as of December 31, 2015. This new Ordinance is in response to USEPA and MPCA requirements.
Planning Commission Members
Liz Strohmayer (2022)
Dave Edblom (2020)
Pam West (2022)
Angela Wilson (2022)
Blane Tetreault (2023)
Dave Meyer (2024)
Sue Lawson Planning Director
Beth Mullan Secretary
E-mail: Planning & Zoning
Forms, Instructions and Fees: