Wildfire Risk Reduction Program
Clifton Volunteer Fire Department has been awarded a FIREWISE grant from the DNR for Hazard Mitigation: Improved Planning and Wildfire Risk Reduction. The grant is for a total of $31,900 with Clifton Fire Department and community volunteers providing at least half of that amount through in-kind services.
Some of the grant activities will include:
- An on-site survey of Duluth and Alden Townships to determine which homes need up-to-date 911 signs. We will be providing up to one hundred 911 signs and mounting posts.
- Demonstrations by a DNR forester at one or two local properties on fuel reduction practices that can be done at our own sites. Our first demo is tentatively scheduled for Sept. 16th. The location will be announced on the township website and in the newsletter.
- “Chipper Days” with centrally-located free chipping of brush for residents who perform fuel reduction clearing on their properties.
- It will be important to keep track of any time that is spent clearing fuel on our properties, as this time will all be counted towards our “in-kind contribution” to the grant. Please let the grant administrator know the date and how many work hours were spent in the activity and we will add this to our report.
- Education and outreach to residents via direct mailings, the Township website, Newsletter articles, a presentation to the Homesteaders, the Fire Department Open House, and at the fuel reduction demonstrations and chipper events.
- If you are interested in helping with the grant activities or have questions, please email the grant administrator, Sherry Rovig or call her at 218-525-0489.
Upcoming FIREWISE events:
- Wed-Sat, Oct 18-21: Brush Drop-off Days. Trim up your yard to protect your home. You can dispose of trimmed branches and small logs at the free FIREWISE drop-off site at our Fire Hall 1 on Ryan Road. The FIREWISE grant will pay for chipping up branches and small logs on Chipper Day, Oct 21st from 9-5am, Fire Hall 1 on Ryan Road.
FIREWISE Volunteers Needed
Volunteer to put your name on a Township call list for residents who are physically unable to do the trimming or can’t haul brush to the drop-off site. Please call volunteer Bruce Hauger at 590-2768 or leave your name and contact information at the Town Hall at 525-5705